A DLC sized new lands mod that adds 20+ hours of fully voiced lore friendly (But not canon) quests, dungeons, and more!
V2.2 for Skyrim Special Edition.
Provided as is with no guarantee of future updates or support.
My Modding Facebook Page
For hundreds of years Falskaar has been inhabited by the Nords, though most of its history from before then is unknown.
For the first time since the party's arrival in Falskaar almost 600 years ago a portal activates deep within the ruins of Mzubthand and the player steps through, arriving in Falskaar. They are denoted 'The Traveler', based on an old prophecy.
"They who arrive through the shimmering wall mark the start of the worst."
F.A.Q. at the bottom of the page. Please READ IT before using the mod!
What Is Falskaar?
Falskaar is a new lands mod that adds an entirely new worldspace to the world. It's accessed by a dungeon the first time, then by boat from then on out. Falskaar's goal was to sharpen my skills in almost all areas around the board, with a focus in level and dungeon design. The result is that there is at least a little bit of everything. There is a new land, places, people, quests, dungeons and more for the player to experience. It adds roughly 20+ hours of content, and favors all types of characters.
This is NOT a beta. This is NOT a test version. This is a 100% completed new lands mod.
(New and/or updated content may still be added, but the main production is complete)
- An entirely new land independent of Tamriel, roughly the size of 2-3 Skyrim holds.
- 20-30+ hours of gameplay.
- 26 quests, including a 9 quest long main story, and 17 side quests! (Along with some unmarked content)
- New items including new books, recipes, weapons and armors. (A mix of brand new, and retextured)*
- Two new spells and a new shout.*
- A bard with several unique new songs.
- A soundtrack containing 14 brand new tracks composed by Adamm Khuevrr just for Falskaar, adding more than 40 minutes of new music!
- A fully voiced experience, featuring almost 30 semi-professional and professional voice actors and actresses.
Weapons, armor and spells were not the focus of this mod. As such, do not expect grand things in these areas, they are simple little touches to make everything a bit less vanilla.
Not all quests in this mod blatantly hold your hand. If you seem to be stuck, look around and think through the quest. All quests were rigorously tested for complete-ability, so it's more likely than not that you just have to figure it out without a blatant quest marker telling you what to do.
What Does Falskaar Require?
- Falskaar only requires the latest version of Skyrim SE.
- It does NOT require any DLC.
- It does NOT require any additional utility mods like SKSE.
How to Start Falskaar & What Level Should You Be?
IMPORTANT! - When you first load up your game with the mod active, WAIT for a few hours (in Skyrim time) to let Falskaar's content and characters settle down. This will help avoid issues if you manage to reach the content 'too quickly'. (Like blasting through the first dungeon. Do it fast enough, and the first cut scene gets wonky)
To start Falskaar, go to Riften and speak with Jalamar. He will either be outside around the market, inside the northern gate, or inside the Bee and Barb. You can also just go straight into Echo Deep Mine, a new dungeon just northeast of Riften.
The mod does not have a level requirement. It scaled in a similar manner to Skyrim, ideally providing a balanced experience for players regardless of their level. However, like Skyrim, if you're level 80 you may find bandits to be rather trivial. Mods that alter scaling and banditry/enemies in Skyrim will not affect Falskaar bandits as they are a unique setup. See compatibility (below) for more information.
IMPORTANT! - Do NOT use the console during this to set stages, open doors or disabled objects! Falskaar has been rigorously tested and nothing should be broken, so by doing this you void any hope for support, and will most likely break stuff.
FOLLOWERS - This mod is fully navmeshed, and should work just fine with most/all followers.
Falskaar was designed with compatibility in mind. That said, there are still a few minor areas that will cause conflict:
- The area just outside of Riften along the path to the NE where the entrance to Echo Deep Mine is added.
- The portion of Dawnstar Bay that Wulf's ship now occupies.
Mods that conflict with these areas may cause you problems. Otherwise, there are no major compatibility concerns. Falskaar was designed with compatibility in mind, so many mods will work automatically, like wildlife replaces, etc. However, some mods will NOT and will require compatibility patches. This includes mods that alter the bandits of Skyrim, Necromancers, Guards, or music. (List not all-inclusive, of course, there are plenty of other areas as well)
Do NOT clean
Falskaar.esm. It has been thoroughly cleaned before release and contains NO dirty edits. All edits to vanilla records are intentional and necessary.
The uninstallation of Falskaar mid-game is NOT supported. It's simply too big. Treat Falskaar like a DLC, and do NOT remove it during a playthrough. Only remove if you are starting a new game. To remove (Only for new game) simply delete
Falskaar.esm. Failure to follow the above conditions will likely result in serious, irreversible damage to your save and is not recommended or supported.
The good news about this is that Falskaar alters very little of vanilla content. If you ignore the new dungeon entrance, boat in the Dawnstar bay, and never go to Falskaar it will have NO effect on your gameplay in Skyrim. It will simply take a spot in your load order from that point onward. However it is, of course, my hope that you will not desire to remove Falskaar ever. Hopefully it will provide you with plenty of enjoyable content, even once you leave Falskaar, in the form of weapons, armors, recipes, etc.
Q: I get a 'system out of memory' issue when trying to install with NMM, how do I fix this?
A; This is a problem with large mods and NMM on 32-bit machines. To get around this error, simply manually install the mod.
Q: I'm stuck at some part in the main quest, what should I do?
A: Many problems being reported are just issues with the unpredictability of the game. Waiting in-game for several hours (1-6 is usually good) fixes a lot of these issues by letting the other actors in the game catch up. I'll work to improve this, but there's only so much I can do. (Once other mods get involved and a lot is happening it rapidly gets impossible to control)
Q: The end of Fort Urokk doesn't work for me, when will you be fixing that?
A: This is not a bug with the mod, but a mod conflict. Mods that allow children to be killable were not accounted for during development, and their use (Thus causing Wilhard to die) is not recommended, and will cause issues. I believe this mod to be the cause of this issue, so try disabling it for the duration of this quest. Reports so far say that allows them to complete the quest without issue.
Q: [Mild MQ Spoiler] I can't find the key in Bearclaw cave during Strength & Wisdom, where is it?
A: Search the final room of the cave, it's in there. It is not in a container, so 'explosive' spells may fling it around making it harder to find. This is being improved in 18.104.22.168.
Q: A quest isn't advancing and/or things seem to have pointlessly broken!
A: While a legitimate bug is certainly possible, an overwhelming amount of issues with scripts failing to fire in Falskaar are caused by Papyrus being overloaded by other mods. Please enable Papyrus logging via the instructions below, then observe your logs as you play. ~30 minutes of play shouldn't result in a very big log (depending on your mods). If it makes, say, a 10mb log, that's huge! Please search the log for repeating or intrusive errors. Please also search for any errors containing "FSKR" or "Falskaar". Report the latter to me, and the respective mod owners for any others.
Enable Papyrus Logging
My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) and add the following to it if it isn't already there:
[Papyrus] fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0 bEnableLogging=1 bEnableTrace=1 bLoadDebugInformation=1
Afterward adding those lines and playing some, you'll get new folders in "My Games/Skyrim" called "Logs/Script". In Script you will find 1 to 4 Papyrus logs. (0, 1, 2 and 3, 0 being the most recent) You may open them with any text editor (like Notepad).
WARNING - I do not support translations or unofficial uploads of the mod. If you are playing a translation or an unlisted download of the English version I cannot guarantee that your version of the mod has not been altered or that it is up to date.
Permissions And Credits
Falskaar may be translated into another language without my permission; however, please follow the translation rules posted towards the end of the description when doing so.
Falskaar may NOT under any circumstances be hosted or uploaded by anyone but me, anywhere ever. (With the explicit exception of translations)
Reviewers, spot-lighters, and critics are free to use and record footage of the mod, and may use content posted on the Nexus site in their videos - So long as intent and proper crediting is made clear.
Falskaar may be modded in a similar manner to Skyrim under the following conditions:
- No files that are packaged as part of Falskaar may be redistributed in any way shape or form. This includes the ESM, Bink video files, and any files contained within the BSA. The one and only exception to this are the Script and source (PSC and PEX) files. These may be altered and redistributed freely.
- Your mod must require Falskaar as a master. You are not allowed to repackage Falskaar.esm. Just like with Skyrim, direct people to this page to download Falskaar, then they may download your child-mod separately.
- You must make it abundantly clear that I am the author of Falskaar and preside over its files.
- You must make it clear that your mod is not supported by me in any way shape or form, and is an independent mod with its own responsibilities and faults.
- Story, Dialogue, Quests, Scripting, World, Level and Dungeon Design
by Alexander J. Velicky
- Mauri Majanoja - King Agnar Borvaldur
- Jason Axelrod - Commander Yngvarr Unnvaldr
- Adamm Khuevrr - Brother Thorlogh
- Mick Mize - Svegard Hjorgunnar
- Robert S. Benjamin - Ulgar Hjorgunnar
- Jason Axelrod - Yngvarr, Kolgrim, Vernan
- Robert S. Benjamin - Ulgar Hjorgunnar, Jarl Valfred
- Priscilla Chee - Njola, Freya
- Andrew Chung - Combatants
- Jonathan Cooke - Gabrial, Olvir, Guards, Combatants
- Gordon Haney - Wulf
- Ashley Johnston - Varrina
- Michael Johnston - Galen, Wilhard
- River Kanoff - Jonulv, Guards, Combatants
- Adamm Khuevrr - Brother Thorlogh, Oudin, Combatants
- John LaPiana - Commoners, Necromancers
- Hana Lee - Klara, Guards
- Mauri Majanoja - Agnar, Rangarr
- Jonathan von Mering - Harold, Combatants, Guards
- Andrew “Noves” Miller - Arnand
- Mick Mize - Svegard Hjorgunnar
- Casey Mongillo - Kalevi
- David A. Ramthun - Audmund, Combatants
- Warren Reid - Mecaius
- Rob Reilly - Combatants
- Julian Shanahan - Rurik
- Tyler Shaw - Combatants, Commoners, Necromancers
- Ariana Siarkiewicz - Jalma, Svea, Combatants, Necromancers
- Christine Slagman - Helena, Combatants, Commoners
- Jacob Staub - Henrik
- Dillon Taylor - Kunnari, Combatants
- Edwyn Tiong - Jalamar, Commoners, Necromancers
- Daniel van Winkel - Guards
- Alex Wright - Goran, Combatants
New Shouts - Male
- Jason Axelrod - Orc
- Jonathan Cooke – Nord, Breton, Imperial, Redguard
- Adamm Khuevrr – Argonian, Khajiit
- Casey Mongillo - Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer
New Shouts - Female
- Jason Axelrod - Orc
- Christine Slagman - Nord, Breton, Imperial, Reguard, Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, Khajiit, Argonian
Falskaar Original Soundtrack
- Written and Composed by Adamm Khuevrr
All non-cover bard pieces written by Julian Shanahan and Alexander J. Velicky, and performed by Julian Shanahan.
- The Heart of the Gods
- The Wanderin’ Bard
- Glory to the Five
- The Lady in the Lighthouse
Models & Textures
- Gold Retexture
- Road Signs
- Amber Mead Bottle Texture
- Shop & Inn Signs
- Staalgarde Armor Retexture
- 2.2 (April 2nd, 2017)
- Fixed a situation where "Returning the Favor" would complete and the next quest would not begin. Load a save from any time BEFORE this point to continue properly.
- Fixed several corrupted properties that could break quests.
- Main quest group meeting scenes no longer break if player initially sits in the wrong chair.
- Fixed Olvir sometimes missing from his introduction scene in "An Ancient Gate".
- Fixed several objectives not completing properly (Not retroactive).
- Added Outro video messages after beating main quest since outro video is not supported on all platforms.
- Clear fort objective during "Fort Urokk" now indicates how many enemies remain reducing confusion if any are missed/hiding.
- Spell 'Fury of Flames' was incorrectly marked as a Novice spell, not Expert.
- Renamed Fort Urokk Legionairre to Fort Urokk Soldier to remove unintended association with the Imperial Legion.
- Withered Fang Den map marker swapped to type 'Cave' and better covered up broken word wall to reduce confusion.
- Fixed various small bugs and errors.
- 2.2 (April 2nd, 2017)
- 2.1 (January 8th, 2017)
- Fixed Falskaar reverting snow to Standard Edition textures/systems.
- Removed Northern Pass teaser.
- Fixed many random bugs.
- 2.1 (January 8th, 2017)
- 2.0 (November 2nd, 2016)
- Fixed missing weapon/item meshes. You should be able to see them and continue normally immediately after updating.
- Updated many file conversions to further prevent issues.
- New version numbering for SSE Falskaar.
- 2.0 (November 2nd, 2016)
- Falskaar 1.2.1final converted for Skyrim Special Edition.